It’s cold outside, y’all, like really cold. So it’s no surprise that a couple of our houseplants are hosting a couple tiny terrors. Nothing bad or swarmy, just irritating little gnats. Mr. Sickles did a little research and came up with Safer Brand Houseplant Sticky Stakes. And they work! I put them in a couple plants on February 6, and by February 24 we had a little gnat graveyard. I like these because they’re quick, clean, and chemical-free. Can you hear my evil laugh?
This week we discussed happy houseplants in the Chatham News & Record. I find that our “house jungle,” as our son likes to call it, is quite easy to care for. To date there are only two houseplants that don’t do well for me: orchids and asparagus fern. In fact, they die horrible deaths with me (who knows why?), so I gave up on them years ago. On the flip side, though, is my husband, “the orchid whisperer.” It just chaps my ass that he has a thriving orchid jungle to rival the rest of the house jungle. Sigh.
Houseplants make you healthier. They help you breathe easier and improve the quality of air in your home. They add color and liveliness, give you a sense of accomplishment, and generally beautify your space.
For more information:
- WebMD | Health Benefits of Houseplants
- Prevention Magazine | 8 Healthy Benefits of Indoor Plants, According to Horticulture Experts
- NBC: Better by Today | Why Indoor Plants Make You Feel Better
- NASA | Plants Clean Air and Water for Indoor Environments
- Good Housekeeping | 30+ Gorgeous Indoor Plants That Are Nearly Impossible to Kill
- Gardening Know-How | Grooming and Care Tips for Houseplants
- Chatham News & Record | Happy Houseplants